Upon working through the Steps to and including the 9th and 10th Steps, members can attest to realizing these promises in their lives, and their compulsion to overeat has been greatly reduced and even eliminated. Physical, spiritual, and emotional recovery from the disease of compulsive eating are realized and sustainable.
In their minds, when reading these promises, many OA members substitute the words “alcohol / liquor” and “alcoholic” with the words “food” and “compulsive eater,” but in respect for the wishes of Alcoholics Anonymous, we repost these words verbatim from the Big Book.
From the Alcoholics Anonymous “Big Book,” pp. 83-84
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are halfway through.
- We know a new freedom and happiness.
- We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
- We will comprehend the word “serenity”.
- We will know peace.
- We will see how our experiences would benefit others.
- That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
- We will lose interest in selfish things.
- Self-seeking will slip away.
- Our whole attitude and outlook on life will change.
- Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.
- We will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us.
- We will realize that God is doing for us what we couldn’t do for ourselves.
Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
From the Alcoholics Anonymous “Big Book,” pp. 84-85
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone – even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it if as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquorhas given us without any though tor effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we have been placed in a position of neutrality – safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.